- Posted by Manuel Padial Pérez
- On September 3, 2019
This is custom heading element
The STMICROELECTRONICS ICL RHRPMICL1A is a versatile device designed for load protection in satellites in case of over-current events, above a programmable threshold, putting the system in limited-current mode for a configurable time interval. The subsequent behaviour will depend on the configuration mode set.
This device features 3 user-configurable operating modes: Latched, Re-triggerable and Foldback, with different behaviours in case of overload/short-circuit events:
- When in Latched mode, after an over-current event is detected, the device supplies the load with a limited current for a configurable time interval (tON). After that, the RHRPMICL1 switches off the device and an external reset (through tele-command signal or cycling OFF/ON the UVLO thresholds) is needed to restore normal operation.
- When in Re-triggerable mode, after an over-current event is detected, the device supplies the load with a limited current for a configurable time interval (tON). After that, the RHRPMICL1 switches off the device for a configurable time interval (tOFF). When this time is elapsed, the RHRPMICL1 enables the device to re-start (automatic self-recovery).
- Foldback mode limits the current as soon as an over-current event is detected. If the output voltage decreases during the event, the current limit value is decreased accordingly to ensure the current remains at a safe value, even in short-circuit conditions.
The RHRPMICL1A integrates all the functions of a solid-state power switch (SSP) and is compatible with different bus voltages. Designed to drive an external P-Channel MOSFET, it allows more flexibility of use and load adaptation.
The RHRPMICL1A can be used as a universal solution to protect a power supply (from 8.5 V) from anomalous external current demand (for example, in case the load enters latch-up conditions).
It can protect or replace conventional fuses and can also be used to control redundant loads.
Because of its floating ground configuration, together with an internal Zener diode, it can even be used on power buses with voltage above its maximum specification of 52 Volt supply voltage, preventing the collapse of the bus supply to ground in the event of a VCC to GND short failure inside the device, keeping the application alive.
All key parameters of the application, including the current limit, the trip-off and recovery times and the undervoltage lockout thresholds are user configurable via external components, making the RHRPMICL1A suitable for a wide range of applications, being a perfect solution for power distribution load protection, allowing fast design and PCB optimization.
The RHRPMICL1A is designed in STMICROELECTRONICS’s proprietary BCD6s-SOI technology to provide total dose and heavy ion radiation hardness. Housed in a hermetic Flat-20 package assembled in ST’s QML V certified facility, it is ideally suited for harsh environments.
- Load protection
- Redundant loads
- Power conditioning and distribution units
Key Benefits & Feaures
- Wide-range supply voltage: 8.5 to 52 V DC
- Very low DC current: 1.5 mA (typ.)
- External current limitation setting
- Embedded current sense
- Large configurability for Design Time Reduction and Optimization
- 3 modes of operation: Latched, Re-triggerable, Foldback
- Configurable trip-off and recovery times
- Smart current limitation for repetitive overload
- Floating ground functionality
- STATUS (digital telemetry) and TM (analog telemetry) pins allow respectively to remotely monitoring the status and the current load.
- Flat-20 Hermetic Package
- QML V FLIGHT MODEL and PROTO versions available
- EVALUATION BOARDS available
- Radiation hardened:
- TID: 100 krad (Si) HDR & LDR
- SEL & SEU free up to 78 MeV.cm²/mg
- SET characterized
The documentation in the list below and available on st.com
ICL Demoboards for each mode of operation are available for delivery:
- RAKON: High Reliability Radiation Tolerant COTS - August 15, 2020
- MIL-STD-883 METHOD 2003 – Solderability Testing - July 23, 2020
- Glass Encapsulated Beads ESCC 4006/014 Type NTC Thermistors - July 12, 2020