- Posted by doEEEt Media Group
- On February 17, 2021
VA160 and VATA160 are used as front-end readout ASICs in the payloads of DAMPE. Both Laser pulse test and heavy ion beam test were conducted to get the SEL tolerance of the ASICs.
Laser test was performed firstly to quality the SEL sensitivity because it is easy and ready at all times. Heavy ion beam teat was executed secondly to quantify the SEL tolerance of the ASICs.
Test results shows that there is about 0.4 SEL event a year for one chip and about 3 events a mouth for the system. Current limitation circuit was designed to mitigate the SEL damage and was validated in Laser pulse test.
(Dark Matter Particle Explorer)
Supported by the Strategic Priority Programs on Space Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences:
The DAMPE Detector
Radiation Test to study the radiation tolerance – ASIC for DAMPE Mission
Front-End Readout ASICs
- VA160 and VATA160 for BGO Calorimeter
- 52 VA160 chips, 32 VATA160 chips
- VA160 for Plastic Scintillation Detector
- 16 VA160 chips
- VA140 for Silicon Tracker
- 1152 VA140 chips
- Designed by IDEAS in Norway
- Based on VA32 and TA32, modified in I/O interface
- Fabricated by AMS in Austria, 0.35 CMOS process.
- VA32: 32-channel read out in parallel/serial
- TA32: 32-channel trigger
Radiation tolerance of the ASICs
Radiation: TID SEU SEL
- TID: long time effect and can be shielded, test data is needed for shielding, test can be performed at any time at low cost.
- SEU: instant effect and can be corrected using software, test data is not strongly demanded.
- SEL: instant effect and hard damage, test date is needed for mitigation, test is expensive and not always available.
Download or read the full report here
- SPACE TALKS 8 | Innovating in Quantum Technologies for Space. The University perspective. - February 6, 2023
- High Current, High Temperature Edge-Wound Inductors - January 13, 2023
- Snap-In Supercapacitors - January 13, 2023