- Posted by Roberto Manuel Cibils
- On December 3, 2019
Explosive Growing Markets: New Space
- NewSpace, or new space: is the movement and philosophy that inspires the emerging industry of private space flights worldwide.
- New private companies of the aerospace industry
- Major traditional contractors of the aerospace industry
- “Faster, cheaper and better“ access to space technologies driven by purely commercial reasons.
New Space Philosophy
- New instrument: the “SmallSats” constellations.
- Lower production costs: by automation and large-scale production.
- Lower launching costs: lower satellite mass and size.
- Lower cost of components: use of consumer market electronics.
- Shorter satellite lifetime
15,000 new satellites in LEO orbits in the next years
- It can be seen here an explosive growing market
- Assuming $1 million per satellite it can be sized as 15 billion dollars investment for the next years.
- What if there were a technology capable of increasing the lifetime of the New Space satellites at a very low cost?
- Those who used this technology would be able to have a:
Huge reduction of their costs.
Satellites launches per year Savings from lifetime extension
Assuming a 2 years satellite lifetime
Several Billion dollars savings
Vulnerability of electronic components
Squeezed electronics: reduce satellite size, mass and power
CMOS relevance grows: a whole PCB is replaced by a single IC
CMOS vulnerability grows:
- Time Dependent Dielectric Breakdown
- Bias Thermal Instability
- Hot Carrier Injection
- Solder joint fracture (BGA)
- Multi-bit Upsets
- Single Event Latchup
What does the lifetime of CMOS integrated circuits depend on?
In INVAP we are developing new techniques with this aim
PREVENTION & MITIGATION TECHNIQUES
Thermally conductive & electrical insulator coating
- Up to 50 degrees ambient
- High power density
- High thermal resistance
- No convection
- Upper surface path
Space Qualified Anisotropic Conducting Film
- 8760 thermal cycles per year
- Mainly BGA packages
- Difference between CTEs
- Extremely rigid solder joints
Optimized Lockstep, checkpointing & rollback
- Increased susceptibility to SEU/SEFI
- High impact on service availability
- Difficult implementation in consumer electronics
Adaptative Single Event Latchup Protection
- Low LET threshold
- High cross section
- Expensive Qualification
- Increased consumption
- Adaptative Threshold
New materials for Spot Shielding
- CMOS tends to be more TID tolerant
- Lifetime expectations tend to decline
- Spot shielding is still useful
- There is an explosive growing market for the manufacture of small-sized satellites for LEO orbit constellations using COTS.
- The leading edge CMOS Ics are the key to reduce the size and mass of the New Space satellites.
- There are few or no qualified versions.
- The up-screening process is expensive and risky.
- It is possible to extend the lifetime of these components through low-cost techniques.
- The constellation manufacturer that uses these techniques will achieve a significant cost reduction.
New instrument: the “SmallSats” constellations
Lower production costs: automation and large-scale production
Lower launch costs: lower satellite mass and size