Conferences video archive
ACCEDE Workshop on COTS Components for Space Applications 2019
Conferences video archive
Assessment of Commercial Components Enabling Disruptive space Electronics
ACCEDE workshop is focusing on all aspects related to the usage of Commercial of the Shelf (COTS) Electrical, Electronic and Electromechanical (EEE) parts in space applications. Although the main goal is to address the specific needs of “New Space” programs such as constellations and/or nano & small satellites, the workshop will cover also the needs of more classical space missions.
Space is becoming a more and more competitive sector, asking continuously for higher performance figures while reducing the overall cost from missions inception up to end of life decommissioning. Such a trend has consequences at all levels down to the selection and procurement of building blocks and components.
In parallel to the above-mentioned paradigm, EEE parts designed for ground application such as automotive and other industrial sectors show high-reliability levels when produced in massive quantities and while being the subject to ad-hoc qualification schemes (e.g. AEC Q).
Although we could see a solution matching a need, there is still a big gap between them and proper methodologies have still to be developed and approved in order to allow a more systematic usage of COTS components for space applications.
From lessons learned in previous and on-going space missions up to the initiation of future programs, the workshop intends to act as a forum for experts to share their experience and forecast based on facts and technical evidence.
Duration: Two and a half days.
Scheduled dates: Wednesday 6th to Friday 8th November 2019
City/ Venue: Seville (Spain)
ACCEDE workshop is based on invited oral presentations and talks gathered in sessions following a single track. The presentation duration will be in the range of 20-30 minutes including 5-10 minutes for questions. Two “Panels discussion” addressing the key-hot topics is planned for the second day (afternoon), with a moderator and selected speakers. Those interested in particular topics and wishing to provide a presentation/talk are encouraged to make contact with the organizing committee as soon as possible.
- Technological studies addressing the reliability of EEE COTS for use in space:
- Material issues: pure tin, etc.
- Outgassing and other packaging aspects.
- Lot variations.
- New technologies.
- Parts selection processes.
- Radiation hardness assurance assessment: impact, new radiation validation processes, systematic assessment of in-orbit anomaly and events data.
- Radiation effects mitigation techniques: validity demonstration.
- Diversity of COTS quality grades and normative systems.
- Data availability and accessibility on COTS (reliability, qualification,…) and its assessment
- EEE component manufacturers perspectives and options.
- Component user perspectives.
- COTS use cases: successes, problems and failures.
- Policy aspects and quality provisions in using COTS; standards validity, available guidelines, gaps…, etc.
- Other associated factors to be addressed:
- Impact on Reliability prediction.
- Derating policy validity and recommendations.
- Dedicated identification, handling and storage precautions, etc.
The workshop is based on invited oral presentations and talks gathered in sessions following a single track. The presentation duration will be in the range of 20-30 minutes including 5-10 minutes for questions.
A “Panel discussion” addressing the key-hot topics is planned for the second day (afternoon), with a moderator and selected speakers.